2.18.2010

Chicago


I'm a total slacker. I admit it. I rarely blog anymore. In fact, I've had this entry saved as a draft for nearly a month, just waiting for the time to post pictures. It sounds as if I'm talking about just last weekend, but this was over a month ago now! Yikes!!

We're home! We just returned from what was probably one of the most fun, exciting, adventurous, and tiring trip EVER. Thursday night we stayed at Ross' grandparent's condo in Sandusky. It was beautiful and we were relieved to be able to sleep in a little longer on Friday morning. Our train left the station at 5:00 a.m. Friday so were had to be at the station before 4:30. Because nobody actually worked at the station in Sandusky there was a big sign on the door that said to call the police department to unlock the door. Just as I get my phone to dial, an officer drives by. What perfect timing! I knew it was going to be a great trip! The train was so packed on the way there. In fact, we couldn't even sit together. I sat by the nicest lady, Dianne, who was on her way to visit her son before he leaves for his 3rd tour in Iraq in a couple of weeks. Across the aisle was a girl Crystal and her sweet little baby, Giavanna. Although I was bummed at first that Phil and I didn't get to sit together, I was glad I got to make some new friends!


Our first day there included lunch at a yummy Italian restaurant at the hotel. We had the coolest server and he had such a heavy accent. After all the bread, oil, spaghetti and meatballs we could handle, we went SHOPPING! The guys wanted to take a nap but Katherine and I denied them sleep. We could do that in Ashland! We went to the Water Tower. 7 stories of some of my favorite stores and others I've never seen before. We went the the American Girl store and Addy was on display! ;-) Later that night we went to dinner at Uno's. I'm pretty sure our waitress was a founder of the restaurant. She was about 90 years old, I swear. But, boy, did she did a great job! She was quick and witty! Right next door to Uno's was the ESPN Zone. We couldn't continue with our evening without playing some video games, of course! Then we hit the town and went to some really cool clubs. I REALLY wish we had more places to go around here like they did downtown.
Saturday, we had breakfast at the hotel and headed to the Art Institute. We HAD to. After all, it WAS in Ferris Buehler's Day Off!! We attempted some pictures like in the movie...see if you recognize them. We also saw "the bean" and watched people ice skate. It looked fun, but I'm clumsy enough walking on cement! Zoinks. Then, we SHOPPED some more! Phil surprised me with a key chain from Coach and Katherine and I got rings from Juicy Couture! We even got Kat one. I also fell in love with some Nike tennis shoes that were hot pink and LACE...but couldn't justify spending money on shoes that I rarely wear. :-/ Then Saturday evening we had what was the BEST Steak dinner of our lives at Harry Carry's. Again, our server was hilarious. He never stopped cracking jokes and made the experience THAT much better! The Signature Room was our next stop (Thanks to gift cards my sister got us!!!). We had a bottle of wine and enjoyed the phenomenal view at a table right next to the window! I must say that our Taxi driver, Frank, that took us to the Signature room, was the ONLY English speaking driver we encountered. It was non stop laughing the whole ride! Then, we went back to our Favorite spot, this little Irish Pub not too far from our hotel. One floor was decorated like a ship and they always had live music.

Sunday we did a little more exploring and ate some delicious food before heading home. This time, we got to sit together! The train ride home seemed way longer for some reason. But, I wouldn't have traded it for anything. The whole trip was a fantastic experience! Nothing like spending a little quality time with some of my favorite people in such an awesome city!


Baby Gia!

Phil at the Hard Rock. Hendrix poster, Hendrix t-shirt...Hendrix face. :-) CHEERS!

Ross and Katherine at the Signature Room

Phil and I at the Signature Room

The SHOES

Katherine and I trying on make up at Victoria Secret

Us in the Coach store!

HAHA!




At the Art Museum

Ross the BOSS! This was a really cool little bar.

Rossie and I at the ESPN zone

Katherine killing Ross in some Air Hockey...right Katherine!? ;-)

Addy??

Water Tower

Getting my make-up airbrushed at Sephora. I want this thing! Bad.
At the restaurant at the hotel

The view from our hotel room
Thanks again Mom and Dad for the amazing trip and the MEMORIES!! ♥

3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure when this post was up, so I just saw it today. Chicago is a wonderful city..growing up there (in the burbs) was the best of city/country living. Glad you had a great time. Nice pics! We have to go sometime together! That was a super Christmas gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE, Chicago...and it looks like you did it up right!!

    ReplyDelete